Ben and Gary Show - Episode 16
Sep 12, 2018
Unhappy With Your Gummy Smile?
In some cultures showing a lot of gum when smiling is considered attractive.
If that's not you and you want to fix your gummy smile, in this video the docs talk about the causes and solutions.
What causes a "gummy" smile?
There are many causes of a gummy smile. Most are listed here.
- Teeth are not properly aligned
- Teeth are too short either from wear or heredity
- Lip is too short
- Lip is hyperactive - moves way above the gum line
- Overgrowth of gum tissue
What can you do about it?
Depending on the cause, solutions can be quite serious or simple. These are listed below.
- For misaligned teeth, orthodontics such as Invisalign can help
- In severe cases, surgical reshaping of the upper jaw can make a dramatic difference
- In severe cases, orthodontics with jaw reshaping surgery may be needed
- In mild cases, reshaping the gums with a laser or a knife can work
- In mild cases, after gum reshaping, veneers or crowns may be needed
- If the lip is too short, the gums and lip can be modified inside the mouth
- For hyperactive lips, Botox is a temporary solution - be sure to use a well trained professional
Have a question? Ask it here.