Take Dry Mouth Seriously
Among our patients, a common complaint is dry mouth. Saliva is slippery and forms a buffer against decay which is sticky. Dry mouth compromises that buffer and sets you up for many problems.
There are many causes of dry mouth.
- As we get older saliva flow diminishes
- Medications cause and promote dry mouth
- Not sure about yours? Google medications that cause dry mouth - the list will be long
Dry mouth affects your teeth and dental health in many ways.
- It creates a perfect environment for tooth decay, especially along the gum line
- It can even cause root decay
- We treat decay but recurrent decay is often a problem
- It causes bad breath
Following are some ways we help patients deal with dry mouth.
- We prescribe fluoride treatments or trays to help prevent decay
- We recommend gum with xylitol or other products that promote saliva flow
- We encourage daily hygiene using a mechanical toothbrush
- We definitely recommend flossing to keep...